The Youth Protection Roundtable is a project funded in the framework of the Safer Internet Action Plan of the European Commission from November 2006 till April 2009.
The Mission of the Youth Protection Roundtable is to establish an intercommunicable socio-technical approach to youth protection.
Users - responsible adults in the case of minors - should be empowered to make their own decisions on how to deal with harmful and unwanted content on the Internet.
In addition to action to fight illegal content at its source, users may need digital literacy as well as technical tools. Accessibility to these tools may be promoted in order to empower users. The Youth Protection Roundtable's overarching goal is to facilitate and coordinate exchange of views between child welfare specialists and technical experts on technical and pedagogical measures against unwanted and harmful content.
Members of the Youth Protection Roundtable are the following organisations and companies:
- ADICONSUM - Associazione italiana difesa consumatori e ambiente , Italy
- AOL, Germany
- AOL, UK
- Arbeitskreis Neue Erziehung e. V., Germany
- BAGFW - Bundesarbeitsgemeinschaft der Freien Wohlfahrtspflege, Germany
- Citizens Online, UK
- Comenius Foundation for Child Development, Poland
- D.O.M. Datenverarbeitung GmbH, Germany
- Deutscher Kinderschutzbund - Bundesverband e.V., Germany
- eco-Verband for ICRAdeutschland.de GbR, Germany
- Extreme Media Solutions Ltd., Greece
- Family Safety Online Institute, UK
- F-Secure, Germany
- Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle Multimedia-Diensteanbieter e. V. - FSM, Germany
- Fundacja Dzieci Niczyje, Poland
- Forum des droits sur l'internet, France
- ISFE - Interactive Software Federation of Europe, Belgium
- Internet-ABC e.V., Germany
- Johannisches Sozialwerk e. V., Germany
- Jugendschutz.net, Germany
- Mannerheim League, Finland
- Microsoft, France
- Landeszentrale für Medien und Kommunikation Rheinland-Pfalz - klicksafe.de, Germany
- NCH, UK
- NICAM - Nederlands Instituut voor de Classificatie van Audiovisual Media, Netherlands
- ÖIAT - Österreichisches Institut für Angewandte Telekommunikation, Austria
- Pegasus GmbH, Germany
- Protégeles, Spain
- Safer Internet Institute z.s.p.o, Czech Repbulic
- Save the Children, Italy
- University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Social Sciences, Slovenia
- Websense (SurfControl plc), UK
The members of the Youth Protection Roundtable will convene for five meetings in a six month intervall. The meetings are by invitation only. Papers and outcomes of the meetings will be published on the website.
For more detailed information on the work of the Youth Protection Roundtable please choose from the menu on the left side.